Thursday 16 April 2009

Yet more great work from Pinto last night :)

I spent an hour de-fluffing him and there is still loads to come out. Poor boy stands in his box sweating atm because it is so warm. Thankfully his summer coat is a nice bright white, and i may just have enough time to get rid of all the nasty yellow winter hair in time for the completition on 08 May. I don't know what I'm going to do with his mane and tail though! Talking of manes...


What do you think? Not too bad for my first attempt at pulling a full mane? Becky wants a trellis plait for the competition, (that's going to be fun on the Thursday night!) but afterwards I'll take it a little shorter so that it is all one length - then I can let it grow out again :nod:

Anyway, back to the riding... I dusted off my Fhoenix, and although Pinto was horrified to see a saddle two days in a row he stood nicely while I girthed up. I'm not sure though whether it's too far back - but that is where it "sits" - what do you think?



Again I'm always amazed at how well Pinto moves out in this saddle, but I find it such a faff to put on. It has to be absolutely straight when I girth up, and I have to do the girth up one hole at a time alternating sides else it sits crooked. I also have to do the girth up a lot tighter than I really like else it slips. To top it all off, it never stays in place once in on either. It always creeps over to one side as I'm riding as well. It usually takes about 1/2 an hour, but once it is crooked, I have to completely ungirth and start again - like I said I find it a faff!

Surprisingly though, for all it has been a long time since I rode in my Fhoenix it didn't take that long to get used to the set back bars, and I only had a few minutes of OMG no balance when trotting. The main problem I had was that I just couldn't get my whole leg on Pinto, I felt my ankle was dangling in mid air - however once my hips had stretched a bit ( :-/ ) I could manage a bit better.

I tried something completely different tonight. I made up my own walk/trot dressage test and rode it like I was at a competition... Cor Pinto was a bit sparky! It was almost as if he knew exactly what I was doing. it was good for me to, and gave me something to focus on, and made me more aware of my placement within the manège. "Having" to make transitions on the markers was good discipline for both of us. It made me much more aware of preparing for the transition - as daft as that sounds!

I did eventually get more control over my legs as the time went on and I felt Pinto worked really well. He was lower with his head carriage (and considering this is only the third time I havent used an elastique for months something of an achievement) and felt like he was reaching for the contact. Now I'm a bit more sure of myself, and hopefully Pinto is feeling better, I'll have to start asking for more definite curvation rather than just a hint.

We only worked for 20 mins, but it felt like a great 20mins so we stopped on a good note - fortunately for the dog obedience/agility club - who I had forgotten use the manege on a Wed night lol

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hate to say it, but if the saddle slips to one side, it's not the saddle...it's you--a combination of you and Pinto. He wants to carry you so it's comfy for him, so he very subtley positions himself so that's where you end up. Treeless saddles make this painfully obvious and most of us will tend to ride to one side or the other, so don't feel bad.

If you can get your instructor to help you analyze the problem, great. If not then it's up to you. More work without stirrups might help.

If you slip right, for example, then your whole left side needs to stretch down and around Pinto. Dropping your knee on that side will help. You might also find yourself using in inside indirect rein on the "short" side to get Pinto to the wall because he feels as if he is falling in on that side and you need to hold his shoulder out.

So the side the SADDLE SLIPS TO is your long side and the other side is your short side.

You need to drop your knee on the short side and use and opening, direct rein, pushing Pinto to the outside rein with your whole leg. Warning: This can make you collaps the short side as you attempt this. So test yourself by stretching your short side hand and arm way up to make sure that side's angles stay open.

Lots of unasked for advice here, I know, but I am with you. Currently, I just found myself, after the winter almost layoff, sitting too much on my right seatbone, so I am working on it as I have been taught by some very good riding masters.

His mane looks really nice. I do them shorter here in the US, but I have Thoroughbreds, not flashy Pintos. He should look stunning with a "trellis." And his coat is coming in really nicely.

If he's like my guys, after a good grooming, there is a pile of shedded hair on the floor!!

Anonymous said...

Hiya, your horse looks lovely. Wish I could ride