Monday 6 April 2009

27 Mar 2009

Perhaps not riding for weeks at a time ( ) improves my riding

I had a really good lesson last night, which was a real "on the spur of the moment" thing; and while I am really pleased I had the lesson, it really confirmed that I just can't be doing with group lessons any more - not unless Certain People actually respect the rest of the class and do the exercises correctly - more on that later...

Firstly, the whole lesson was geared to improving the canter transition, so we did a lot of work on voltes to get the hing legs stepping under and through properly, first in rising and then in sitting trot.

Pinto was great, he was much less fussy with his mouth since he's had his teeth done (which makes me feel even more guilty!), and we were even having some signs of bending - even though I was using baby-style open and leading reins. Also since his treatment by the osteopath, he wasnt constantly bending to the outside. The osteo certainly did something (this was Pintos first ridden exercise since his manipulation), as at the beginning of the trotting exercse Pinto spent a good 5 minutes blowing and snorting and stretching down through his back - much more than usual. To me it seemed that he was saying "oooh, this feels different"

My only concern was that it felt like there was very little energy *there* I felt that I was having to ask a lot more than usual, rather than holding back all the time. My friends, one of whom I was riding with, and the other was observing, both said that Pinto was moving really well, with a very good working trot - and that is what it felt like - but it also felt like there was no *spark* none of that special "Pinto energy" that I'm used to. Even though he is worked regularly, including lessons, with my sharer, he felt unfit and tired. Now it could be a lot of things. This is the first winter when the horses have had a granulated compound feed rather than lucerne, so it might be a feed thing. He could be depressed, after all he has recently lost his next door neighbour (Iris was pts after a colic a short time ago) and they were always hanging around in the field together. Or it could be medical - there has been a lot of changes on the yard recently with new horses coming and going, so he may have picked up a low grade virus, or it could be anaemia. So I'm going to start giving him a small extra feed of sugarbeet and linseed, and if nothing changes I'll ask the vet to do a blood test when he comes for the second lot of vaccinations in 2 weeks.

Back to the lesson...

Amazingly, the exercises in sitting trot I could do without any of my normal bouncing/unbalance-y problems, which is nothing short of miraculous, considering that not so long ago I used to go pale at even the thought of sitting trot on Pinto Again my old, old problem crept in, or should I say up??? I wish my heels would stay where my brain wants them, rather than going where my muscles want them! I know it's because I'm gripping with my calves and tensing with my thighs in an effort to stay on. It's one of my oldest problems, and it still happens, even if I feel balanced and in control - silly body!!!

Then the frustration and the elation...

The actual canter exercise:

So we were told to take an inside track in rising trot, and, working in open order, when we wanted to attempt the exercise we have to come onto the track at either B or E, take sitting trot, then in the corner ask for the canter, canter along the short side of the school, then return to sitting trot in the other corner and come back off the piste and resume rising trot (the whole point of the exercise being quality of the ask and the depart, NOT the actual canter)

Now, first of all I have to gather my courage, as I am still very, very, very nervous of cantering on Pinto (even though it has been over a year since my accident), so I have to think calming thoughts and gear up for the actual exercise. I attempted the exercise twice, both times I didn't actually get a depart - completely my fault because I'm thinking "OK... go / OMG DON'T GO TOO FAST!!!" So all I get is a manic cob-trot. Then I have to calm Pinto down (since he is how a fizz-head and rushing) and gather my nerves again. Managed the exercise once on the left rein - well managed a stride or two, but really sloppy depart.

Then the frustration - once some Certain People have done the exercise once or twice, they then start to canter for longer and longer... One Person actually managed 2 circuits of the manege in canter of couse this means that no one else can actually do the exercise properly, since those travelling at speed have priority on the piste

Then came the elation...

After everyone had calmed down, and people were mainly just walking around I decided to try just once more, on the right rein. Came onto the piste at B, Pinto was being stressy, managed to get him settled before the corner, asked for the canter at F, got a silly trot, took two strides to settle him again before asking again just before K and got the most wonderful balanced, non-rushy canter I have ever had on Pinto - EVER - was so pleased, I was very naughty myself and carried on up past S before asking for the trot again. Wow I was sooooooooooooo happy I was very pleased to end the lesson there, and Pinto had a great many scritches and hugs.

In the future, I'm hoping to organise a semi-private lesson with a friend, every now and again, and I think I would probably gain more from say, one lesson a month than a group lesson every week.

No comments: