Monday 6 April 2009

06 April 2009

What a fantastic weekend!

Spring has finally sprung in the Alsace, and both Saturday and Sunday the temps were hitting 20C. I was in the garden by 9:30am on Saturday and worked hard for 3 hours creating a proper flower bed before retiring for lunch and changing for the stables.

For the first time in ages I was able to tie Pinto up outside to give him a really good groom. Poor soul still has most of his winter coat, and was sweating just standing still. I was able to have a really good look at his feet too, after the farrier trimmed them on Wednesday. Once again all hint of his bars have been removed, but apart from that I am really pleased with how his feet are looking atm. The outer wall is a good 3-4mm all the way round even at the heels (and this is something we've struggled with a lot), and near the toe gets to almost 6mm. His frogs are also looking great, and for the first time has come out of winter with minimal ickyness and no cracks or impossibly deep central sulci.

After much thought, and not without regret I decided that I would have to shorten his mane. His forelock is very short, now that it's been pulled into some sort of shape, and his tail is almost show-cob length, so he looked daft with a long mane. I just started slowly, and over the course of an hour I shortened his mane by about 4 inches, then I left it and will finish the rest today hopefully (photos are promised when he's all done!) Honestly I didn't think I was taking that much off, a couple of hairs at a time, but when I came to sweep up, it looked like I had lopped someones tail off!

Pinto was still on rest on Saturday, so we went for a walk in hand. Usually we would normally just potter around the village, but instead we followed a short hack, which would normally take us about 25-30mins to do. Saturday it took us just on an hour with 2 stops to munch the grass. I really felt it on the evening as my riding boots really aren't meant for walking!

When we got back I decided to scrub Pintos knees. He has a competition on 08 May, if everything goes well, and I really need to start washing his white bits now to have any hope of him not looking disgusting. lol

On Sunday I went to the yard mid afternoon, in order to avoid the hoards of teenagers which congregate late morning. After Saturday Pinto only needed a quick brush over before I could tack up and off we went for a walk.

I think we'll have to build up the "lots of controlled trotting" as prescirbed by the osteo. Controlled and Trot just don't go together with Pinto when we're out hacking, so we did a few strides here and a few strides there and I ignored the bouncing and jogging after each transition down to "walk." His back certainly feels much more free now, and I could really feel the difference up and down the hills, his hips dipping and rolling with each stride.

After we got back we went around to the orchard to eat grass while he cooled down and dried off.

So... a wonderful weekend

No comments: