Tuesday 14 April 2009

07 April 2009

Was really pleased with Pinto yesterday.

I had planned on riding but since I didn't get to the yard until late (and of course since I was running late Pinto had decided to lay iin all the poo he could find!) I decided to lunge instead.

Now lunging has always been a bit of a tricky subject with Pinto, as he has had this awful habit in the past of bogging off when asked to canter, and I've tried lunging with a cavesson, with a bridle, off the bit, and i actually had the most success with a rope halter. Anyway, since we were only meant to be doing gentle exercise I decided to try him in just his headcollar and tried to banish all thoughts of bad things.

He was a really good boy and remembered all of the cues, despite not being lunged for aver a year. To keep things calm and collected i worked a lot on transitions, making sure he was making trot/walk/trot transitions at least 3 times on every circle, so really only having 2 or three strides of each before another transition. he took to it really well, and on the whole, his transitions were really nice and snappy.

We only worked for about 15 mins before stopping and doing some "manners" work, i.e. leading properly, stopping when I stop, backing up when asked. And we also did some work on "stay" at the end of the lead rope and not moving until I invite him closer.

We had such a great time.

No comments: