Friday 15 February 2008

Fantastic ride last night!

Up to date at last!

I went to ride last night (in the manege because there are no classes this week) with the sole intention of trotting for 30 mins, not for schooling, but just for exercise.

After warming up in walk for 8 minutes off we went, and immediately found I had a wonderful elastic pace.

Not in 2 years have I ever felt Pinto so *together* in trot. It was truely wonderful. He accepted the contact and worked right up into it with no stargazing. He sometimes went too deep, but to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less, it made such a difference to the normal 'ears up my nose'; yet because he was working properly I still had plenty of neck in front of me. Not only that... but I had the *ears*, you know, pointing sideways, actually listening to me rather than pointing ahead thinking for himself

The other main thing I noticed is how quiet Pinto was! Usually you can hear him trotting a mile off because he stomps around like he has lead in his feet, but not last night. OK - I wouldn't say he was fairy-footed either, but there was no stomping

Even towards the end of the 30 mins, when he was obviously getting a bit tired, his trot was practically metronomic.

OK, so it was a bit boring doing 5 laps of the school then changing hands for another 5 laps etc. But the time passed so quickly, because I was just marvelling at how fantastic Pinto was being.

As we were walking around to cool off, the rest of the horses were being let in, which made life rather interesting!

For the first time this winter Pinto worked up enough sweat to warrant putting his cooler on. Now the cooler is brand new, and I've never even tried it on him before. It is a tad too long in the back, even though it is his size, but my goodness! it fits him like a dress! When I put the surcingle on, the sides almost met under his belly! I don't think he cares too much but it made me

Anyway I left him knee deep in haylage and with a brand new bed down. I'm hoping that I can capture this Pinto again on Saturday to do a bit more of this fantastic trotting, before going out on a hack to cool off. If only I didn't have to work...

No comments: