Friday 15 February 2008

3rd Dec 2007

I've been off the air for what seems like forever, so here is the round up from December:

Typically, on my birthday, the weather was abysmal. Freezing cold with horizontal rain so I didn't get to go out on Pinto (I'm a right fairweather rider... I blame it on not having warm enough or waterproof clothing )

As one of the classes was outside (!) having a XC lesson (!!!) I took Pinto into the manege for a very brief loose schooling / run around session.

He is coming on so well!

First of all, after getting the beans out of the system, and actually listening to me, we decided that we could go from a 'normal' trot to showing lengthend strides back to 'normal'. All I can say is phwoar! Asking Pinto to lengthen, you can see the actual transition! That first stride just hangs in the air before he stretches out his legs and flicks his toes up... And the overtrack! (reminder to self... must ALWAYS put on over reach boots!)

But it was the canter which amazed me. Pinto tends to be all or nothing with canter, and all is a bit hair raising - even if you are standing on the ground! This time, we are getting fantastic, calm, transitions, and a calm, unhurried stride, which is naturally getting shorter and more bouncy ( ??? ) then you can ask him to move out a bit and then you can ask him to turn on the speed

Even better though, is that he is starting to stretch down more in trot, without the guidance from the side reins, and he is starting to look more supple and less tense in his back (and less jarring on his joints!).

I just so ♥ my boy

No comments: