Friday 15 February 2008

28 Jan 2008 - First proper hack since before Christmas

Went out on Saturday afternoon, in lovely sunshine, for the first time since before Christmas (discounting the very quick 30mins at the beginning on Jan).

Was a tad more exciting than planned!

The horses' turnout has been severely limited over the past 3 weeks (only a 1/2 day per week) due to the extremely wet weather - not because we don't want muddy horses, but our clay fields are on the sides of a hill, and when they are very muddy are extremely dangerous for the horses... and as the majority of them are RS horses, the YO can't risk lameness due to tendons or muscle strains. Consequently Pinto hasn't had much time to take the tickle out of his feet.

We started off pretty well, and once we got to the top of the first hill the ground was relatively dry (at last!). We only slithered a little bit at the bottom of the second hill as it is in a 'bottom' and tends to stay quite wet. We head out along the canter path and try out a little trot, cue 'sewing machine on crack' trotting, with lots of bouncing and Tigger impressions, decide that trotting is a bad idea, and ask Pinto to come back down to walk... waaaalk... W.A.L.K... I. Said. WALK. grrr! After another 20 or so metres bouncing around with ears up my nose we eventually settle on a power walk, head down and braced against the bridle (who said that a horse can't lean on a Bitless Bridle?)

Cue argument number one when we come the the cross roads. We always argue here: Pinto wants to go straight on towards the forest, I always turn right up the road. Managed to turn up the road and off we went again.

Wend around the bottom of the field, and come to the curvy hill. Now, we've cantered up here, what, 3 times in the last 9 times we've been out. Pinto takes full advantage and as soon as we turn the corner he launches into a flat out gallop. At which point I'm thinking Oooh :ouch: Not having planned on mad gallops, my stirrups were definitely 'dressage length' and I just couldn't get off his back enough to feel properly balanced (that'll teach me!) and I did have a minor getting to the top of the hill when he show no sign of slowing down. I'm now sitting straighter in the saddle, trying to get my weight back, but being bounced around while 'trooooooooooot' ing. Eventually he realises that he is in no way fit enought to be galloping anywhere, let along up a hill with me on his back... but he was so exceptionally pleased with himself . I could hear him laughing, I swear it!

I really didn't want to repeat that experience (nerves still a bit wobbly) so had to devise a way to get home without going up the normal hill. Ended up doing a loop, and going up another hill, but not before having another argument when I pointed him away from home when we *should have been going down that track THERE, mum!*

I really need to get out exploring a bit more, as I really can't have Pinto deciding when we're going to canter. I hadn't planned on cantering at all on Saturday as he is so unfit. Next time I think some lunging prior to going out will have to take place, as I was extremely unsure of stopping ability on Saturday.

Having said that... looking back... it was just 6 months ago when I was terrified of going out by myself for 15 mins, now I can (just about) laugh the Tiggering off, I didn't fall to pieces during the unscheduled gallop, and managed to calm things down afterwards... I guess I must be improving after all!

No comments: