Monday 19 January 2009

Aaargh the frustration

Do you ever have days like that? Yesterday I rode Pinto in the manège and felt as if I couldn't do a thing right.

I started off slowly as it was the first time Pinto had his new bridle and bit to try out, and my first time in my Fhoenix for months.





First of all I couldn't get comfy in my Fhoenix :cry: Despite living in my house it was like trying to ride on a scaffolding plank, and even after 30 mins of riding the seat didn't soften very much (though it was very cold out!). Consequently I *really* felt the stretch in my hips. I think I could have done with dropping my stirrups a hole, but this is in hindsight!

I then made the mistake of giving Pinto a treat from the saddle. One on each side, with the intention of just asking him to bend round as he is about as bendy as a 2x4 atm. However once I had done this, as soon as I picked up the rein he started walking backwards. At first I was terrified that it was the new bit/martingale combination. Then if I shifted my weight he would paw on that front leg, so I was afraid that I had over-tightened the girth. I have to say that the walking backwards/sitting on the haunches didn't worry me at all (go me!) but I was really concerned that I was doing something wrong. In the end I growled at him, and told him in no uncertain terms to "avance là!" though I have to admit I had to restrain myself from giving him a "pony-club kick"

We walked round for quite a long time, for Pinto to get used to the feel of the new bit, and for me to get used to being in the Fhoenix again. Even in walk my legs (especially my left leg) felt really unstable, but my joints soon loosened up.

Once the other person had left the manege I asked Pinto to trot, and then immediately thought "oooh heck!" as I had no control over my legs and body at all. At this time all I did was ask Pinto to trot around the manege while I tried to sort out my balance. Even though I probably looked awful, it was a good exercise for me as I was able to identify which parts of me were tensing up. First of all I was tense in my foot, though I had a floppy ankle. Then I could feel myself gripping with my lower calf, and upper shin (I'm sure you can't really tense you "shin" but ths is how it felt to me). Then the tension moved to my lower inner thigh, then my upper inner thigh and outer thigh together. By the time I had got my legs sorted out and de-tensed my ankles were aching.

I wasn't having fun.

Pinto's pace was all over the place, and although I could push on for a few paces he would eventually come back down to a very slow (for Pinto) trot. This trot was actually very comfortable and if it was from a school horse I would have been happy with it, but it is so unlike Pinto to do anything slowly it felt really strange. Actually I think I actually need someone to observe me riding Pinto to tell me how he looks. For all I know this nice comfy slow trot may be a "proper" trot instead of a "rushed" trot. See, I could probably tell from the ground, but I have no sense of real "feel" when I'm on board.

The thing which concerned me the most (and I'm 85% sure it's me) was that no matter which rein we were working on, Pinto would bend his neck to the outside, while remaining as stiff as a board from his shoulders to tail. If it had just been on one rein, I would have said it's a chiropractic problem, but it was equal on both reins, so I'm pretty sure that it must be me not being straight.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could solve this?

Becuase we where having problems trying to stay on the piste I purposefully rode on the 3/4 line, in a deliberate walk, trying to keep Pinto as straight as possible. He was, in general, much better away from the wall and wouldn't banana quite so much, but I had to consciously ask for inside bend all the time. Once we moved back out onto the piste, he was back to bananaring to the outside, only this time if I asked for inside bend he would twitch his nose to the inside while still remaining banana'd in the neck... i.e. a very crooked pony.

I really need some decent private lessons. As it is here where I really fall down. I can relate what I see and feel Pinto doing, but I don't know how to correct it.

After riding these squares with Pinto I wanted to do a bit more trot work, except my right ankle had completely siezed up, despite my extremely expensive Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups. So I shoved my foot "home" and managed a circuit or two in trot before dismounting.

Next time I will drop my stirrups a hole to see if it makes any difference, because it was a very uncomfortable experience.

I ended up putting Pinto away feeling very frustrated, both with Pintos unbendy/wrong bendy-ness and my total incompetence at riding. Hopefully I will feel better next time!

PS. I would just like toreassure people that my reins do have martingale stops on them, they are just nice and petit so you can't see them very well ;o) They are present in the red circle below... honest :oD

2 comments:

Jean said...

I am so glad about the stops. I was really worried. But now, if I look all squinty-eyed, I can see them! *G* You can push them up close to the bit and they will be fine. Their only job to is to keep the ring off the rein buckle at the bit.

If Pinto is a good boy, you might try warming up at the walk with your feet out of the stirrups to help you stretch those muscles.

Hard to say for sure what will help some of the riding issues.

You could try trotting in two point, sort of jumping position to help find where your lower leg needs to be for balance. Once you get it set under you so you can stay in two point, then sit again and try to keep it there for the rising trot. (Riding in two point is always good for the leg. You can support yourself with that lovely mane of his!)

While his incorrect bend is part of his trying to keep his balance, you can help a bit by focusing on yourself. "Dropping your knee" on the inside will put your seat where it needs to be to help establish correct bend. Then, your whole leg, from your thigh all the way down to your ankle will fall against his side and help push his body and his hind leg into the outside rein.

Sometimes you can open the outside rein and then, by "getting long" on the inside think of pushing him over into that rein. If you also open the inside rein and kind of ride with your hands spread wide like that, you can actually see and feel where his body needs to go in the bend. (Not the way to ride correctly, but a schooling exercise.) Think of your two hands as a set of railroad tracks and you must get the horse to follow them.

Also, much crookedness can be corrected by the correct amount of forward. But for that to work well, Pinto must also accept and stretch into the bit. Again, the open hands can help you think of pushing him into that contact which will help sort things out a bit.

Don't beat yourself up too much about things right now. When you haven't been riding for a long time it's hard to get back into shape.

Jean said...

Just looked at your EE post about the bits. JP Korsteel was making triple jointed bits at a very good price. Are they available in the UK? (Yes, I see they are) They make an "oval link" bit similar to the expensive KK bit in both a loose ring and eggbutt. Very nice bits and very affordable.