Monday 10 March 2008

Weekend round up 8/9 March:

What a beautiful weekend! The weather was gorgeous, and I had 2 superb rides in different ways.

Saturday:
I was a bit late getting to the yard, but was lucky in that the 3:30 class was going to the the xc course, so I could get into the manege for 40mins. Again my main aim was to just keep trotting for 30 mins for exercise rather than schooling, but I'm still trying to come up with ways of varying the work, because it does get a bit boring, so we did some work on varying the speed of the trot. e.g. one circuit pushing on, and one circuit collecting back. We had a couple of great changes of rein along the diagonal, really pushing on on a longer rein. I wouldn't go so far to say "medium trot" but it was great to feel the lift through the shoulders and the push from the hind end (I really must get a balance strap on the front of my saddle, as on one occasion I very nearly fell off the back I got left so far behind!).

Again I was able to get snippets of a "true contact." It's amazing! and for the first time I actually felt as if there was a 2way communication thing going on, rather than just me all the time. I could feel Pinto stroking the bit with his tongue

My main achievement though (I feel) was in sitting trot. I did quite a lot of work on the sitting trot, and experiemented more with speed. At last Pinto is getting the idea that sitting trot does not mean canter, so he was much more relaxed also. We started off really slowly, and for the first time since I left Mariastein (where my lessons in dressage I would sit for about 40mins in each hour!) I felt that I could sit comfortably so I could worry (concentrate!) about other things. Mainly my position, keeping various body parts relaxed, remembering to breath (not too deeply on the way out, else Pinto transitions to walk lol!) So we worked some on rein and hand position, working out that when I connected my elbows to my torso and raised my hands my shoulders became more relaxed. Also that when I relaxed my middle the tension also left in my buttock and thighs too. Also working out that relaxing your middle, but keeping your abs engaged is difficult!

I also recognise that I still have a very, very long way to go with the sitting trot. We played around some with speed to see how comfortable I could remain, and found that we couldn't get very much faster before I started bouncing. I also recognise that I'm still using my seatbones bilaterally, and although I'm not leaving the saddle I'm still bouncing (if that makes any sense!). A couple of times, for a couple of strides I though I could feel the side to side bit too... though I could be imagining it. I'm not sure if it's me and that my pelvis/lower back is completely blocked, or if its just because I don't really know what I'm meant to be feeling

All in all I did about 7 minutes sitting trot (about 5 circuits and a change of rein). And it felt fantastic! Ever since Mariastein, I've felt much more comfortable and in control sitting rather than rising... but only if I can sit. Pinto felt really great too, and obviously harder and different work for him too. I'm aware that I'm still a very heavy rider, though I try not to ride heavy, if you get my meaning. He worked into the bridle very nicely, and very kindly ignored my wobbly hands during the times I wasn't completely relaxed. Towards the end i could feel he was getting tired and he started leaning on my hands occasionally - slow isn't really Pinto's thing, so we went back to rising, and made a couple of quick circuits to raise the energy again.

We finished the session with a couple of turns-on-the-forehand which I haven't practiced for years, and I dont think of Pinto ever, and guess what? Pinto was excellent! Hardly moved his front feet at all, but was really stepping right through, one step at a time, with his hind legs. he is such a superstar horse

Sunday:
I had plans on Sunday to do some loose schooling, then tacking up in the manege, doing some more trot work, trying some more exercises and then going on a quick hack to cool down. In the end I had to modify things a bit as the yard was quite busy, and I could only get in the manege for about 1/2 hour.

We haven't done any loose schooling for ages, and after the initial trot and canter to free the butterflies the free lunging was a bit of an experience. As soon as I picked up the whip Pinto was at warp speed, so I just persisted in asking for trot, and as soon as we got 1 circuit all in trot he got to walk and a bit of carrot. The we had to repeat the whole thing on the other rein

Once that was done, I took Pinto over and re-introduced the whip as a "friendly" object; and although we were a bit quivvery and snort-y at first he soon settled.

Then we went back to free lunging, and worked on trot/canter/trot transtions which he did great at - transition right on the cue, lovely balanced canter (i.e. not frantic/running away canter) for a circuit, then back to trot.

Then we started doing 'fun stuff' which I really enjoy, unfortunately I have no imagination so we end up doing the same things all the time. Yesterday it was back to leading games... to the extreme. I took a step forwards, and so did Pinto. I took another step forwards and so did Pinto. In the end we were synchronised with our 'leading' legs, so he got much praise and scritches for that.

At this time I was sharing the manege with 2 others, both of whom were trying to get their ponies to lay down on cue, then sit astride and stay on when the pony got up (on cue).

Pinto and I went back to cueing 'foot up.' Although I have little intention or knowledge of teaching Spanish Walk, Pinto picked up immediately that a tap/tickle on his elbow means 'foot up' ready for picking. He deduced by himself that a tap on the forearm means raise the forearm to the front In fact it was so immediate I'm wondering if he's been taught that before? Who knows!

After an hour or so playing (including the freeschooling) we left the manege, tied up and tacked up and we went out for a hack. Longer than I had initially planned, but I had the time. Pinto was great. we trotted almost the length of the bottom path, with only one tiny brief pause, so we trotted for just over a mile continuously - not much, I know, but still, it's still small steps for me! Trotting outside is still far more exciting than trotting inside, so the trotting outside I still feel as if I'm just along for the ride (pardon the pun!). But Pinto goes along with ears pricked trotting his cob trot (just a tad jarring lol) and is obviously happy, so outside I'm still "making suggestions" rather than "asking" like I do in the manege. I'm still very aware of how easily I get tense outside, and I'm trying my best, but it is just such an automatic response (to small things as well as big things) I get frustrated at myself. At least now I am aware of how me becomeing tense also makes Pinto tense too... though if he tenses first it's much worse as then I expect the worst... I'm such a gimp!

It was a very nice Sunday, and Pinto was out of his box for 4 hours, which is always a bonus for him (even if he did have to do a bit of work lol).

No comments: